Having just written up my 'Hints and Tips for Teaching Children - Koike Sensei 5th Dan' blog I thought I would also type up and post notes I made on a course in Nottingham, June 2010, taught by Koike Sensei specifically aimed at children.
The 'Belt Game' (this is one of the favourite games the kid's have when I teach!)
- Children running in a circle.
- Sensei is in the middle swinging the belt in a circular motion high/low, up/down, fast slow.
- Run to Sensei and Kiai.
- Knees high and Kiai.
- Heel touch bottom and Kiai
- Hands forward, foot touching hands.
- Hands to the side, foot touching hands.
- Bunny hops, soft landing, arms swing back and forward.
- 'Hop scotch' - feet together/open moving forward punching choku-zuki at the same time
- Lay on stomach - pulling body forward (e.g like breast stroke in swimming).
- Sitting on the floor,face backwards with legs up in the air straight and push yourself backwards.
4 mattes out for the teams.
- Run to edge of the matte and do 2 choku-zuki's, roly poly forward on the matte, stand up and do 2 more choku-zuki's. If the child is too scared to roly poly then they just do 10 choku-zuki's instead.
- Run to edge of the matte and do 2 mae-geri's, roly poly forward on the matte, stand up and do 2 more mae-geri's. If the child is too scared to roly poly then they just do 10 mae-geri's instead.
LOTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT FROM KOIKE SENSEI!
- Lay down - eyes closed - Heian Shodan in your mind.
- Heian Shodan slow to count.
- Heian Shodan focus on front stance - sit on the front leg of the stance (half the class do the Kata/half sit on front leg to make sure the stance is strong).
- Heian Shodan focus on kime - push against block/punch (opposite direction) *RESISTANCE TRAINING.*
Working in pairs/groups = INTERACTION!
Hold hands to make a circle.
- 10 punches.
- Ask children how to make them stronger.
- Tell them strength in your triceps/arms.
- "Lets do push-ups!!!"
- 3 on finger tips
- Then roll wrists and shake off
- Sensei... "now I check punch" - hikite practice. Koike tries to catch punchers hand so hikite must be fast. *FUN*
- Relaxed knees/ankles - slow mae-geri.
- Bend knees and balance on balls of feet - mae-geri (practice balance!)
- Kick 1 time mae-geri each leg...
- Kick 2 times mae-geri each leg.... then 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc.
- Hold hands in circle - 10 times mae-geri keeping knee up - "don't disturb balance."
At the end of the lesson ask.... "What did we learn?"